Friday, February 20, 2009

I've been 28 for 6 days...

...and i can't get the taste of adolescence out of my mouth. and that's all i have to say about that:)

I've started working on a new song. I'm in love with it. I do believe my roommate is growing quite tired of it, but what people don't understand is that turning a song into perfection takes a lot of repetition and scrutiny. that just pretty much means it wears the song out. way out. like "holes in the ass of your jeans" out. it takes a very special person (aka musicians) to sit through it all and piece it together so that it's actually listenable to the audience.

And after typing that last sentence, i just learned that "listenable" is actually a word. I was certain the word must have been added recently, because i've never heard it, albeit an obvious choice. i'm so sure i can find a word out there that is blatant and common that we've just not thought about putting in the dictionary yet. I searched online to see when the word was formed and was surprised to find that it's been around since 1915-1920. Whatever. they didn't know what they were talking about back then. we should've just recently added that word, i swear.

I did however come upon this story once again. Let's all take a look back...

_____________________________________________________
Bling Bling' Added To Oxford English Dictionary

The next time you and your pals coin a slang term to describe your latest bejeweled accessories, don't bet on keeping it exclusive. The linguistics "gangstas" over at the Oxford English Dictionary aren't "new jacks" to the latest "def" lingo.

The venerable definitions resource has already added other hip-hop-turned-mainstream terms like "jiggy," "breakbeat," "dope" and "phat" to the online updates of the 20-volume dictionary, and now it has started drafting an entry for the latest OED-approved term, "bling bling."

The term, which is used to describe diamonds, jewelry and all forms of showy style, was coined by New Orleans rap family Cash Money Millionaires back in the late '90s and started gaining national awareness with a song titled "Bling Bling" by Cash Money artist BG.

The rapper, who is currently promoting his new album, Living Legend, told MTV News, "I'm so surprised that that word has spread like it has. But I knew it was serious when I saw that the NBA championship ring for the Los Angeles Lakers had the word 'bling bling' written in diamonds on it."

And while BG once felt territorial about his much-loved term, he's since opened his arms to the slang's universal appeal.

" 'Bling bling' will never be forgotten," he said. "So it's like I will never be forgotten. I just wish that I'd trademarked it, so I'd never have to work again."

No comments:

Post a Comment